SkiAbilityOttawa is entirely volunteer
driven. It relies on the generous donation of personal time by many many
volunteers in order for the program to be a success.
We are currently recruiting volunteers for the SkiAbility Ottawa program to be held this
We need YOU!
If you ...
- are an active person that enjoys outside activities
- enjoy assisting persons with a disability and seeing them achieve
- can participate for half, or full days, for at least 3 Saturdays
during July and August.
- enjoy the fun and comradeship of group activities.
- would prefer to help "behind the scenes" with some adminiatration.
- are of age 16 years or more. (For
ages less than 16, enquire about Assistant Volunteer
... then we
invite YOU to join the fun!
Volunteers do not need skiing or boating skills to be active volunteers. We provide the training, and the participants
provide the fun. We encourage participants to also volunteer when practical.
Volunteers will have opportunities to ski or board.
Although most tasks do not need specific skills,
we need a few volunteers with one or more of the following skills:
- Skiers and/or wakeboarders, possibly with
some instruction experience
- Boat/ PWC driver (Boaters Certification card
- Water safety / lifeguard skills
- Camp or day program leader skills
- French language communication
- Sign language (ASL) - some skill if not fluent
Is this for YOU? -- We hope so!
If you would like to volunteer or would like more
information, please send an email to
or call Ross Holden at 613-692-4898.
Please provide your name and all appropriate contact info.
Please state if you can make it for the
training day (see below) If in doubt, register and come out for the
Information and Registration:
- We hold one or more information and registration
evets each year ... check the shedule for the dates and locations or
- Complete the Registration
process at the bottom of this page or
- Send an email to Volunteers@SkiAbilityOttawa.ca
your name and all appropriate contact info.
We offer one or more training clinics each year so volunteers can get the expierience
they have been asking for. Check the Schedule for details.
When possible we also include ski improvement days
and other opportunities for volunteers to improve their skiing or boarding skills.
- New volunteers should attend one training session if possible.
- Returning volunteers are encouraged toattend at least one trining session and may attend more than one, space dependent.
- New volunteers who cannot attend a training session should discuss their situation with
Ross (info@skiAbilityOttawa.ca) as on-the-job training can be an option.
- For the training dates see Schedule.
Some of the tasks that volunteers will be trained for include:
- Shore based tasks:
- Fitter -- preparing the adaptive equipment
per skier requirements
- Starter -- assisting
participants to be ready to ski
- Shore instructor -- dry land training
- On the water tasks
- Boat driver
- PWC/chase boat driver
- Water starter
- Side skier
- Organizational tasks
- Volunteer registration
- Participant registration
- Community liaison
- Media liason
- Funding co-ordinator
- Translation services (English to French)
Registration for volunteers:
- Complete this Membership
Application form (MS word) and email to Volunteers@SkiAbilityOttawa.ca
- Give us your volunteer days by filling in
availability form and email
- On your first visit, you will be asked to sign,
in the presence of a club official, the appropriate waiver .
- Sign-up for volunteer training if at all
possible (see Schedule)
- Membership and waiver need only be
completed once per season
- Check our Privacy
- The Session Availability form is key to
our advance planning and provides. Take your best shot at it and
then, if your schedule changes, resubmit a revised
- You may volunteeer by full days or half
days. Half days are 8:00 to noon and noon to 4:00 unless otherwise
- SkiAbility Ottawa is covered
under the Water Ski and Wakeboard Canada.(WSWC) third party liability insurance
for clubs. SkiAbility Ottawa will ensure that all regular
members are a registered member of WSWC and, thus, included under
this coverage. SkiAbility Ottawa will register, and pay the
user fee, for all regular volunteers who do not otherwise need to be WSWC members. Membership is achived by registering with
a provincial organization such as the Ontario Water Ski Association (OWSA) at the
"club" or "competitive" levels
Please email Volunteers@SkiAbilityOttawa.ca
or call Ross Holden at 613-692-4898 if you require assistance, have
questions or need more information.